Many youth have grown up in foster care without the love and support of their biological family and past connections, not because their families stopped loving them, but because all ties were cut the moment they entered care. Numerous children leave the foster care system without knowing their kin, and without anywhere to go, or anyone to turn to. Help a foster child find a family, gain a support system, and grow up to be a successful adult by starting a Family Finding program in your area
Family Finding is a process created by Kevin Campbell that reconnects children with family members and other lost loves ones with the purpose of supporting youth in foster care. This “support” can be demonstrated in a number of ways, including placement, respite care, visitation, knowledge, and support post foster care. Through the use of Family Finding, foster youth not only are reconnected with healthy contacts, but have the opportunity to learn about their roots. It has been shown that foster youth who know their family tend to be healthier and happier, and are more likely to be successful once they leave the foster care system. By engaging positive relatives, friends, and community members, foster children are given a support team that goes beyond their foster parents and case staff.
- A Family For Every Child would like to help you start a Family Finding program in your area. We will provide the following assistance for agencies working with “at risk” youth:
- Training Materials on Family Finding
- Screening and eligibility of Volunteers (if you choose to use volunteers)
- Tools for measuring success
- Elements of effective practice
- Assistance in developing a financial plan
- Promotion of your program
- Sustaining the program
- Building relationships with the Department of Human Services and community partners
If you choose to use volunteers in the Family Finding process, the community becomes more deeply involved and more child welfare cases can receive Family Finding Services. Volunteers are able to further engage community groups and others, which is able to then expand an organization’s resources and span of influence. If you do not use volunteers, we are still more than willing to offer our assistance. For partnership options, please consider the options on this table.