If you are interested in providing foster care or adoption in Oregon, A Family For Every Child encourages you and your partner to sign up for Orientation and Foundations Training through DHS. The training covers information which will help you with children who have had a difficult past.
Foundations is a series of 8 Sessions and you must complete Session 1 before continuing on to the other sessions. Session 1 provides an overview to Child Welfare and will help you with the content in the rest of the sessions.
You may attend Foundations Training in any county, but must complete all classes. If you miss one, you can take a class in a different county or work with your certifier to make a plan to gain the content from the course.
To get information for training in other counties than the ones listed, please contact the DHS office in that county and ask for Foundations Training information or the trainer. Not all trainers have time to send us their complete schedules and it may be subject to adjustments. Please feel encouraged to call ahead if you have any doubt.
Fingerprints, which are needed as part of associated background check, which were once offered before class sessions are now arranged through electronic scheduling.
Childcare is not available at the Foundations Training Sites. If you need childcare, please arrange it before attending. Children cannot attend the training.
The state now maintains training contact information in a central place: here . If you seek other training alternatives, the general nature of the training and additional alternatives can be found, here .
Columbia, Clatsop & Tillamook Counties
Phone: (503) 325-9179 x 328
Email: email@example.com .
(503) 325-9179 x 213
Clatsop County - Astoria Department of Human Services
450 Marine Dr - Suite #210
Astoria, OR 97103
You only need to come to one class per session. Classes will be held at the Astoria Child Welfare Office. The door on the side of the building will be labeled with a sign for training.
Amanda Catchpole MSW CSWA
Phone: (503) 366-8412
Fax: (541) 397-1092 (fax)
Columbia County Child Welfare
Certification and Training Unit
St. Helens Department of Human Services
500 N Highway 30 Suite #220
(Conference Room A (on the side of the building)
St. Helens, OR 97051
Phone: 503-842-5571 x 306
Phone: (503) 842-5571 ext. 306
Tillamook Department of Human Services
4670 3rd Str
Tillamook, OR 97141
December 2016 - June 2017
- December 1st Session 2: The Importance of Birth Families 2:00pm-5:00pm
- December 1st Session 3: Child Development and the Impact of Abuse 5:30pm-8:30pm
- December 2nd Session 4: Sexual Abuse 2:00pm-5:00pm
- December 2nd Session 5: Behavior Management 5:30pm-8:30pm
- December 3rd Session 6: Valuing the Child’s Heritage 9:00am-12:00pm
- December 3rd Session 7: Working with the Child’s Family 12:30pm-3:30pm
- December 3rd Session 8a: Next Steps for Foster Parents and Relative Caregivers 4:00pm-6:30pm
To find out more, please attend an Orientation (Session 1). Newcomers are welcome... you are of course encouraged to call first. Information about further session dates/times are available after orientation.
- January 5th Session 1/Orientation: Introduction to Foundations 10:00am-1:00pm
- February 16th Session 1/Orientation: Introduction to Foundations 10:00am-1:00pm
- March 16th Session 1/Orientation: Introduction to Foundations 10:00am-1:00pm
- April 20th Session 1/Orientation: Introduction to Foundations 5:00pm-8:00pm
- May 18th Session 1/Orientation: Introduction to Foundations 5:00pm-8:00pm
- June 1st Session 1/Orientation: Introduction to Foundations 5:00pm-8:00pm