What is the Sports and Outdoor Mentor Program?
Designed for the boys in our traditional mentor program, the Sports and Outdoor Mentor Program provides mentoring for boys considered at-risk and may otherwise have to wait months to be matched with a mentor because of the high need for more male volunteers. In addition, the program provides unique opportunities for at-risk children to experience participatory and spectator sports as well as the abundance of outdoor activities Lane County has to offer.
How Does the Sports and Outdoor Mentor Program Work?
You will be matched with one youth or a sibling pair whom you will mentor for the duration of your commitment. At least once per week for 2-3 hours, you will meet with your youth to engage in an outdoor and/or sports activity (we’ll match you with a youth who likes the same activities you do!). You will be responsible for scheduling a time to meet with your youth and will keep A Family For Every Child up to date with your progress with monthly activity reports. There is a 6 month commitment, however, it can be extended!
What are the requirements?
The requirements are similar to our Mentor Program and just as easy! If you fit the following criteria you can be a Sports and Outdoor Mentor to a youth in our program:
- Male, 19 years of age and older
- Willing to meet with buddy 2-3 hours per week for sports/outdoor mentoring
- Able to commit to 6 months of mentoring
- Able to pass a background check
- Able to provide three character references
- Able to mentor a youth in the Eugene or Springfield area
We’re here to guide and support you through this process — it’s easier than you think!
How is this program different from the Mentor Program?
This program is for male youth in our program who are not yet matched with a mentor. While some of the basics are the same, there are some key differences:
- This program’s main focus is on sports and outdoor activities
- The time commitment is 6 months, as opposed to 18 months
- Youth are NOT allowed to visit their mentor’s home
- The minimum age for mentors is 19-years-old
- We are only accepting male mentors at this time