Training, which will prepare you for parenting children who may have been abused or neglected, is required in both Oregon and Washington. Although each state differs in content and hours, both require orientation and pre-service training prior to adoption. The training is an overview of the issues involved in foster care and adoption. It prepares prospective parents to better understand a child who comes out of the foster care system.
- Alaska Training
- Washington Training In Washington State, you are required to participate in 6 hours of Orientation and take 30 hours of pre-service training classes. Class schedule information can be found on the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) website: www1.dshs.wa.gov. Or you can call 1-800-760-5340 for Pre-service class information and brochures, or visit your local Washington State DSHS office.
- Oregon Training In Oregon, Orientation is 8 hours, and the "DHS Foundations Training" is 16 hours. Class schedules can be found through the link to Oregon training.
- Idaho Training
- Montana Training
- Online Training
FREE ADOPTION FOUNDATIONS TRAINING FOR OREGON RESIDENTS
Christian Family Adoptions has scheduled 3-day (weekend-long) trainings on:
- (Friday) April 1, (Saturday) 2, and (Sunday) 3, 2016.
- (Friday) June 24, (Saturday) 25, and (Sunday) 26, 2016.
- (Friday) September 23, (Saturday) 24, and (Sunday) 25, 2016.
See the 2016 Foundation Flyer. This class is a three-day series and is offered to help prospective parents become better prepared to adopt or foster children with special needs. The training fulfills an Oregon DHS requirement for adopting or fostering children in State care. (This Class meets the minimum Requirements for Oregon "Foundations Training"). The class is open to all families pursuing foster care or adoption of children from foster care who reside in Oregon. Our Vancouver office has a 50 person capacity training room. Space is limited, reservations required. To sign up please call 503-232-1211 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Topics Covered Include
US Digital Outreach Center
1400 NE 136th Ave, Ste 201
Vancouver, WA 98684
DIRECTIONS to US Digital Outreach Center from 205 North or South bound*
Traveling on 205 NORTH:
1. Take exit 28 for Mill Plain Road
2. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for Mill Plain Boulevard E
3. Turn right at SE Mill Plain Blvd and travel 1.2 miles
4. Turn left at SE 136th Ave and travel 0.7miles
5. Continue onto NE 138th Ave for 0.4 miles
6. Turn left into driveway (look for US Digital sign), continue to end and go through
7. Turn right into parking lot.
8. Enter the doors located behind the palms trees.
9. Head up the stairs and look for signs to the meeting room.
Traveling on 205 SOUTH:
1. Take exit 28 for Mill Plain Road
2. Turn left at SE Mill Plain Blvd and travel 1.2 miles
3. Turn left at SE 136th Ave and travel 0.7miles
4. Continue onto NE 138th Ave for 0.4 miles
5. Turn left into driveway (look for US Digital sign), continue to end and go through
6. Turn right into parking lot.
7. Enter the doors located behind the palms trees.
8. Head up the stairs and look for signs to the meeting room.
*If you are coming via I-5 Southbound from Seattle, take the 205 Southbound exit - watch for signs for Salem/WA-14/I-84
**If you are coming via I-5 Northbound, take exit 300 to merge onto I-84 E/US-30 E toward Portland Airport/The Dalles for 5.9 miles, then take exit 8 to merge onto I-205 N toward Seattle/Portland Airport. Follow above directions to continue to US Digital.